We provide the opportunity for them to be active. Always encourage and be supportive.
Benefits of Sport & Physical Activity to Holistic Development
• Have the opportunity to interact with other children and build relationships with others.
• Learn to develop turn-taking skills.
• Develop empathy by helping other children and the confidence to help others if they are having difficulty.
• Become more aware of other people’s feelings.
• Become active listeners and are being able to follow rules and guidance.
• Have fun and experience pleasure from a broad range of activities.
• Language gives children opportunities to interact with others by using and listening to language.
• Engaging in activities provides the opportunity for exposure to a wide range of new vocabulary.
• Children will have opportunities to communicate with others and make connections between instruction and action.
• Physical activity promotes brain functioning and gives the children the opportunity to develop and improve on their problem solving skills.
• It also helps improve the child’s memory, reasoning and task flexibility- going from one task to the other e.g. in an obstacle course.
• Helps children with their planning and implementation of ideas.
• Improves movement, balance and co-ordination.
• Supports the development and improvement of fine and gross motor skills.
• Helps the development of strong bones strengthening of muscles and promotes a healthy heart.
Taken from the National Childhood Network